Summary of federal policy action this past month and a look-ahead to the next few weeks/month
I: Federal Appropriations process extended through a Continuing Resolution: On September 30, President Biden signed a 71-page bill, initiating a continuing resolution to keep the government open until November 17th.
II: Speaker of the House Race Continues: On October 3, the House voted to remove Kevin McCarthy from the Speakership for the first time in American history. After several rounds of voting for Steve Scalise (R-LA-1) and Jim Jordan (R-OH-4), interim Speaker Patrick McHenry’s (R-NC-10) powers were extended to allow the House more time to elect a speaker.
III. Biden-Harris Administration Announces Additional Student Debt Relief: On October 4, the Biden-Harris Administration announced an additional $9 billion in debt relief for 125,00 student loan borrowers. This plan includes $5.2 billion for those enrolled in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, $1.2 billion for permanently disabled borrowers, and $2.8 billion for those enrolled in income-driven payment plans.
Policy-related events and resources of interest, including federal funding opportunities
- Upcoming Event: FutureEd is hosting the live event Expanding Educational Opportunities: A Fireside Chat with Geoffrey Canada and Frederick M. Hess on October 30th at 4:00 pm ET. More information can be found here.
- Upcoming Event: EducationWeek is hosting the webinar Ready or Not, AI is Here: How K-12 Schools Should Respond on November 1st from 2:00-3:00 pm ET. More information can be found here.
- Upcoming Event: The Hunt Institute is hosting the webinar Postsecondary Pathways: What’s Next: Creating Diverse Student Bodies in Today’s Higher Education Landscape on November 9th at 2:00 pm. ET. More information can be found here.
- Past Event: The Learning Policy Institute hosted the webinar Safe Schools, Thriving Students: Fostering Restorative Practices and Safe and Supportive Communities on October 17th. Click here for more information.
- Past Event: UnidosUs hosted the webinar Accelerating Latino Student Recovery: Strengthening Our Schools and Helping Students Succeed on October 19th. Click here for more information.
- Afterschool Alliance: Report: Investments in Student Recovery: A Review of School Districts’ Use of American Rescue Plan Funding to Support Afterschool and Summer Opportunities
- OSERS: Report: Data Displays Provide Snapshot of Data Regarding Children Served Under the IDEA
- WestEd: New Website: New Justice & Prevention Research Center
- New America: Brief: What Should Our High School Students Study? How High School Graduation Requirements Have Evolved from Nation at Risk to the Present
- The Education Trust: Article: A Seat at the Policymaking Table: Supporting the Advocacy of Ed Prep Leaders at Minority-Serving Institutions
Federal Register: Education Department
- NIA: The Office of Postsecondary Education and Department of Education is issuing a notice inviting applications for new awards for fiscal year (FY) 2023 for the HBCU, TCCU, MSI, and RDI grant programs. The deadline to apply is November 30th, 2023.
- NIA: The U.S. Department of Education invites applicants for the FY23 Perkins Innovation and Modernization Grant Program.
IEL Policy Highlights:
- IEL Staff members traveled to Capitol Hill the last week in September to educate members of Congress on the efficacy of the Full-Service Community School and to expand the reach of the Full-Service Community School competitive grant program.