Who we are:
The Institute for Educational Leadership’s (IELs) mission is to partner with under-resourced communities to equip leaders to better prepare children, youth, adults, and families for postsecondary education and training, rewarding careers, and civic and community engagement.
Reporting to the Program Manager of Leadership Development, the Communications & Design Intern will assist in implementing the Family and Community Engagement team’s strategic communications strategy.
- Graphic design
- Develop written promotional materials
- Post and respond to social media platforms
- Update IEL websites and blogs
- Support project management including data recording and analysis
- Support event planning and promotion
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience in communications functions including writing, planning, graphic design, social media publishing, event management and more
- Experience working in a collaborative office environment
- Content knowledge in the areas of education; more specifically family and community engagement
Qualifications and experience:
- Background or strong interest in communications or education
- Rising undergraduate senior or master’s degree student
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Outstanding writing and editing skills
- Experience creating graphics for social media platforms and events
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and can-do attitude
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and problem-solve
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and major social media platforms
- Knowledge of graphic design, Canva, Constant Contact, or Adobe Creative Suite is a plus
Traits valued highly in a teammate include:
- Sense of humor
- Collaborative work style and ability to function well in a diverse environment
- Passionate about issues of racial and social justice and IEL’s vision, mission, and values of equity, inclusion, collaboration, and impact
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence and high-quality work
The individual who fills this part-time position has the option to work remotely or complete the work from the IEL’s office at 4301 Connecticut Ave., Suite 100, Washington, DC 20008.
Hours and compensation:
This is a part-time internship for Fall 2021. While weekly schedule and start and end dates are flexible, the ideal candidate will be available 24 hours per week or three days per week from September 1, 2021 through December 22, 2021. Compensation will be provided via college credit OR $15.20 per hour. Interns are paid only for hours worked and will not be paid for holidays or closures. Interns will not receive any of the employee benefits that regular IEL employees receive, including but not limited to health insurance, vacation or sick pay, paid holidays, or participation in IEL’s 401(k) plan.
Please send an email with “Communications Intern” as the subject line to FCENetwork@iel.org. Include a cover letter, resume, and an example of your graphic design work (optional). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning on August 3, 2021.
IEL is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran’s status or disabled veterans’ status. IEL is implementing a diversity and supported inclusion strategy and is actively and intentionally encouraging applicants of color, of diverse backgrounds, and with disabilities to apply.