Who We Are
Founded in 1964, the Institute for Education Leadership’s (IEL’s) mission is to partner with under-resourced communities to equip leaders to better prepare children, youth, adults, and families for postsecondary education and training, rewarding careers, and civic and community engagement.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Digital Media Coordinator will play a pivotal role in implementing IEL’s communications strategy. Major responsibilities include creating, disseminating, and analyzing the effectiveness of web content across platforms including social media, email, websites, and apps.
- Helps to communicate about IEL’s work to diverse audiences. This includes:
- Ensuring consistency of messaging and branding across all websites and online platforms.
- Copyediting online communications and providing other quality control checks, as needed.
- Working with staff to ensure accessibility of all IEL digital content, ensuring that all digital media meets or exceeds WCAG 2.0 standards.
- Supports planning and implementation of IEL digital communications strategy, including social media and email campaigns. This includes:
- Managing IEL’s social media accounts.
- Assisting in developing and implementing online advertising strategies.
- Supporting online fundraising efforts, including managing IEL’s donations platform and crafting fundraising appeals.
- Overseeing email outreach campaigns for a variety of IEL initiatives and synthesizing IEL’s work into e-newsletters for IEL constituencies.
- Developing and running regular analytics reports on IEL’s online communications work across platforms, and recommending and implementing adaptations based on the findings.
- Creates content for and manages IEL websites and blogs. This includes:
- Managing and updating existing IEL websites and blogs.
- Supporting the development and launch of new IEL websites and other digital communications tools.
- Designing online publications, tools, and other resources.
- Trains IEL staff and program participants on digital media skills and best practices.
- Provides digital communications support for major conferences, convenings, and other events.
- Serves as a liaison between the communications department and IEL-contracted consultants and vendors, including IT consultants, web developers, and online tool vendors.
Qualifications and Experience:
- At least 3-5 years of experience in digital communications.
- Demonstrated competency in HTML and website maintenance. CSS, web development skills a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, all social media platforms, and online content management systems (CMS) and constituent relationship management (CRM) systems, including Drupal, WordPress, and Constant Contact. Graphic design skills and competency in Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated competency in writing and design for online platforms.
- Knowledge of web accessibility standards and implementation techniques, particularly Section 508 guidelines and WCAG 2.0 standards.
- Talent for delivering training and assistance to staff members as needed in digital communications skills and best practices.
- Strong track record in building online audiences, including increasing social media engagement, email subscribers, and web traffic.
- Experience with online advertising including Facebook ads and Google ads.
Traits Highly Valued in a Teammate Include:
- Collaborative work style and ability to function well in a diverse environment
- Passionate about issues of racial and social justice and IEL’s vision, mission, and values of equity, inclusion, collaboration, and impact
- Understanding of the importance of work/life balance
- Sense of humor
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence and high-quality work
This is a full-time position, based in IEL’s Washington, D.C. office. The job will require periodic travel.
Salary will be competitive and will depend on experience. IEL provides comprehensive health, dental, retirement, education, professional development, and life insurance benefits.
Please send an email with “Digital Media Coordinator” as the subject line to email@example.com. Include a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and two examples of digital communications work you’ve created in the last three years. Review of applications will begin on August 9, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled.
IEL is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran’s status or disabled veterans’ status. IEL is implementing a diversity and supported inclusion strategy and is actively and intentionally encouraging applicants of color, of diverse backgrounds, and with disabilities to apply.