Reporting to the vice president of research and innovation, the data analyst is responsible for establishing and managing the Institute for Educational Leadership’s (IEL) master data set, analyzing data, developing reports and data presentations and visualizations, troubleshooting data issues, providing project-specific support to federal grants, and contributing to technical reports. The data set is part of IEL’s evidence development strategy that supports Rise Up for Equity, IEL’s 2018-2023 strategic plan.
- Collecting and managing master data, including creation of specific data sets, updates, and deletion.
- Managing users and user roles.
- Providing quality assurance of imported data.
- Commissioning and decommissioning of data sets.
- Processing confidential data and information according to guidelines.
- Working with staff and consultants to develop reports, analysis, and externally-facing materials that communication results.
- Managing and designing the reporting environment, including data sources, security, and metadata.
- Supporting the data warehouse in identifying and revising reporting requirements.
- Supporting initiatives for data integrity and normalization.
- Assessing tests and implementing new or upgraded software and assisting with strategic decisions on new systems.
- Generating reports from single or multiple systems.
- Troubleshooting the reporting database environment and reports.
- Evaluating changes and updates to source production systems.
- Training end users on new reports and dashboards.
- Providing technical expertise on data storage structures, data mining, and data cleansing.
- Providing technical expertise on designing project and program evaluations and analyzing and communicating results.
- Other duties as assigned by the vice president.
Professional Qualifications, Skills, and Expertise:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in computer science, econometrics, statistics or related field or demonstrated and well-documented mastery of critical competencies.
- At least 5 years of work experience as a data analyst or in related field.
- Ability to work with internal and external constituents.
- Ability to create tools and databases.
- Ability to analyze existing tools and databases and provide and implement software solution recommendations.
- Ability to translate strategy requirements into data collection, governance, and management requirements.
- High-level experience in methodologies and processes for creating and managing large scale databases.
- Demonstrated experience in handling large data sets and relational databases.
- Deep understanding of widely used data analysis tools and databases.
- High-level written and verbal communication skills.
- Collaborative work style and ability to function well in a diverse environment.
- Passionate about issues of racial and social justice and IEL’s vision, mission, and values of equity, inclusion, collaboration, and impact.
- Understanding of the importance of work/life balance.
- Sense of humor.
November 30, 2018
Salary in the range of $65,000-$105,000 depending on experience with comprehensive health, dental, retirement, education and professional development, and life insurance benefits.
Duty Station: IEL is a Washington-based organization. This position is based at IEL’s D.C. office.
Please email with "Data Analyst" as the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a cover letter, resume, and a work sample.
IEL is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran's status or disabled veterans' status. IEL is implementing a diversity and supported inclusion strategy and is actively and intentionally encouraging applicants of color and of diverse backgrounds to apply.